How to Participate
- Download the KAYA Climbing App and create a user profile
- Once your profile is created within KAYA visit this payment portal to register for the League with KAYACLIMB.COM
- Find the League Challenge at your home gym
- You can use the “search” function in the KAYA app and type “Momentum Bouldering League”
- So long as you’ve registered through the website, you’re all set to join the League!
- Register for the League as a New Team, Join an Existing Team, or sign up as a Free Agent
- $20 per person to participate, paid through KAYACLIMB.COM
- Bouldering this year is happening at both Katy and Silver Street simultaneously — you must choose a single gym at which your entire team will compete for the duration of the league.
- Teams are comprised of two to four competitors.
- League boulders are set once a week at each gym, with climbing available as soon as the setting crew finishes up (typically around 5pm).
- Teams can pick a day to compete together, but it is possible to score boulders on your own.
- Competitors may climb and earn points across multiple sessions.
- Competitors have up to 14 days to earn points on league boulders.
- The KAYA app will be used for all scoring.
- Competitors simply “tick” sends they climb to score points, also recording the number of attempts.
- Scoring utilizes a handicap system, which is designed to allow climbers of any ability level (read more below)
- Only the top 3 climbs are counted toward the individual’s total. Scoring is updated in real-time!
- Redpointing problems above handicap reward a higher score.
- Redpointing climbs below handicap reward a lower score.
- *Redpoint – means to finish or “send” a boulder from start to finish without falling.
- * Flash – means to finish or “send” a boulder from start to finish on your first attempt, even if you have prior knowledge of “beta” of the boulder.
- Honors system: It goes without saying – be honest when entering your sends within KAYA. Anyone found to be cheating can be eliminated from the League without a refund!
- The handicap system is designed to reward personal climbing growth and achievement while prioritizing team camaraderie in a fun environment.
- Each competitor will set their personal handicap when they register for the league within KAYA.
- Your handicap is the V-grade in which you can consistently redpoint within a single session.
- Handicaps can change throughout the course of the league. In fact, one of the goals of the league is to help improve your climbing in a team environment. Don’t stress too much about getting your handicap correct in week one. KAYA (our benevolent A.I.) will monitor your progress and adjust your handicap as necessary. Handicaps can be adjusted to account for any grade inflation or “sandbagging” that occurs.
What about shirts?
- This season we’ve elected to forgo the typical commemorative/seasonal Boulder League shirt. We’ll have some sweet prizes though!!
- We’ve created league rules that are meant to allow folks to compete in a manner that reduces the typical crowds that occur with Boulder League. For instance, teams are not required to compete together, competitors have 14 days to score points on boulders, and points can be scored across multiple sessions.
- Please follow your home gym’s policy related to pandemic safety precautions, including wearing a mask, maintaining 6 feet from other climbers, and making reservations if applicable.
- We reserve the right to break up crowds at boulders if that area becomes too busy.
More questions? Email us at: